You are the IT administrator for the financial data center in your company. To plan for capacity needs on the cluster named Fina_RDCL-01 in the data center named Fina_RDDC-01, you create another project. In your project, you add virtual machines and a host to the cluster.
About this task
You create another project to add a host and virtual machine to the cluster named Fina_RDCL-01 so that you can see the effect on the capacity of the cluster. The cluster already includes several hosts named Fina_RDH-01 and Fina_RDH-02.
Create a project to plan for an increase in the workload on the cluster named Fina_RDCL-01 by 50 percent in the next month. See Create a Sample Project to Increase Workload Capacity.
- In the vRealize Operations Manager inventory tree, select the data center named Fina_RDDC-01, and the cluster named Fina_RDCL-01.
- Click the Projects tab.
- On the toolbar above the Projects list pane, click Add.
- In the Projects workspace, enter a name and description for the project.
For example, Fina RDCL-01 Hosts_VMs Q1 Planning.
- For the Status, select Planned - no badges affected.
- In the workspace, click Scenarios.
- Under Add Demand, drag the scenario named add Virtual Machine to the Scenarios pane.
The scenario is numbered 1.1.
- In the Configuration pane, configure the capacity requirements.
- Under Changes, enter 10 for the number of virtual machines.
- Under Metrics, enter 4 GB for Memory (Consumed).
- For CPU - Allocation model for vCPUs, enter 2.
- Under Add Capacity, drag the scenario named add Host System to the Scenarios pane.
The scenario is numbered 1.2.
- In the Configuration pane, configure the host.
- Under Changes, enter 2 for the number of hosts.
- Under Metrics, enter 8 GB for Memory Demand.
- For CPU Allocation, enter 4 for the number of vCPUs.
- To add the scenario to your project, click Save and click Close.
vRealize Operations Manager saves the scenario in the project.
What to do next
Visualize the effect of your capacity planning projects in the visualization chart. View the Result of Your Capacity Projects.