You can use a custom dashboard that includes widgets related to alerts to monitor whether alerts exist in your environment. The custom dashboard provides a single interface where you can monitor the general alert status for the objects and object groups, and begin processing the alerts so that you can resolve them.
As a virtual infrastructure administrator, you are responsible for the virtual machines and hosts that are used by the accounting department. You created alerts to manage the accounting department objects, and then create a dashboard where the primary widget displays objects in the accounting object group. You now want to use the dashboard to manage the alerts for this group.
Create alerts to manage accounting department objects. See Create an Alert Definition for Department Objects.
Create a custom dashboard to which you add the Alert List, Top Alerts, and alert widgets. The widgets are configured to monitor objects in your environment. See Create a Dashboard to Monitor Department Objects.
- In the left pane of vRealize Operations Manager, click the Home icon.
- On the dashboard title bar, click Dashboard and select Accounting VMs and Hosts.
- In the Acct Dept Alert List, click the Status column header to sort so that the active alerts are at the top of the list.
- On the alert list toolbar, click Color Row by Alert Criticality.
The alerts are now highlighted by color so that you can address those with the highest criticality first.
- Click the row for the object with the most critical alert to address first.
Because of the configured widget interactions, the Health, Risk, Efficiency, Alert Volume, and Top Alerts widgets display data for the selected object.
- Review the Health, Risk, and Efficiency widgets so that you understand the general alert status of the object.
- Review the Top Alerts widget to determine the number of alerts for the object.
- Click the alert name in the widget.
For example, click the Acct VM CPU early warning Risk alert. The Alert Details Summary tab appears.
- Resolve the alert based on recommendations.
For example, to use the If this is a standalone host, add more memory to the host recommendation, click the link to the instructions for adding memory to a host.
- To return to the Accounting VMs and Hosts dashboard so that you can process more alerts, click the back button located on the left pane toolbar.
- Select the next alert in the alert list and continue processing the alerts.
What to do next
After a few collection cycles, look again at your alerts to determine if they were canceled and no longer appear in the dashboard. If the alerts are still present, see User Scenario: Investigate the Root Cause of a Problem by Using the Troubleshooting Tab Options for an example troubleshooting workflow.