To monitor oversized and stressed virtual machines, and their memory use, you create a report template.
You create a report template with PDF and CSV output and add views, dashboards and layout options to it.
Understand the concept of vRealize Operations Manager views. See Views.
Know the location of your corporate logo.
- In the left pane of vRealize Operations Manager, click the Content icon and click Reports.
- On the Report Templates tab, click the plus sign to create a template.
- Enter Virtual Machines Report, the name for the template.
- Enter a meaningful description for the template.
For example, A template for oversized and stressed virtual machines, and their memory use.
- Click Views and Dashboards. On the Data type drop-down menu leave Views selected.
The currently configured views are available in the list below the Data type drop-down menu. Views present collected information for an object in a certain way depending on the view type.
- In the search box, enter Virtual Machine.
The list is now limited to views where the name contains Virtual Machine.
- Double-click the views to add them to the template.
Virtual Machine Rightsizing CPU, Memory, and Disk Space
Monitors oversized VMs
Virtual Machine Recommended CPU and Memory Size
Monitors stressed VMs
The views appear in the main panel of the workspace with a preview of sample data.
- In the search box, enter VM.
The list is now limited to views where the name contains VM.
- Navigate to VMs Memory Usage (%) Distribution view, and double-click the view to add it to the template.
The view appears in the main panel of the workspace with a preview of sample data.
- (Optional) In the main panel of the workspace, drag the views up and down to reorder them.
- From the Data type drop-down menu, select Dashboards.
The currently configured dashboards appear in the list below the Data type drop-down menu. Dashboards give a visual overview of the performance and state of objects in your virtual infrastructure.
- Double-click vSphere VMs Memory, vSphere VMs CPU, and vSphere VMs Disk and Network dashboards to add them to the template.
The dashboards appear in the main panel of the workspace.
- Click Formats and leave the PDF and CSV check boxes selected.
- Click Layout Options and select the Cover Page and Footer check boxes.
The corresponding panes appear in the main panel of the workspace.
- In the Cover Page panel, click Browse and navigate to an image on your computer.
The default report size is 8.5 inches by 11 inches. The image is resized to fit the report front page.
The image uploads to a database. It is used for the cover page every time you generate a report from this template.
- Click Save.
Your report template is saved and listed on the Report Templates tab of the Content management tab.
What to do next
Generate and download the report to verify the output. See Generate a Report