As a virtual infrastructure administrator, you need vRealize Operations Manager to send alerts in JSON or XML to a REST-enabled application that has REST Web service that accepts these messages. You want only alerts where the virtualization alerts that affect availability alert types go to this outside application. You can then use the provided information to initiate a remediation process in that application to address the problem indicated by the alert.
Before you begin
Verify that you have at least one alert definition for which you are sending a notification. For an example of an alert definition, see Create an Alert Definition for Department Objects.
Verify that at least one instance of the REST plug-in is configured and running. See Add a REST Plug-In for vRealize Operations Manager Outbound Alerts.
About this task
The notification configuration limits the alerts sent to the outbound alert instance to those matching the notification criteria.
- In the left pane of vRealize Operations Manager, click the Content icon.
- Click Notifications and click the plus sign to add a notification rule.
- In the Name text box type a name similar to Virtualization Alerts for Availability.
- In the Method area, select REST Plug-In from the drop-down menu, and select the configured instance of the email plug-in.
- Configure the Notification Trigger.
- From the Notification Trigger drop-down menu, select Alert Type.
- Click Click to select Alert type/subtype and select Virtualization/Hypervisor Alerts Availability.
- In the Criticality area, click Warning.
- Expand the Advanced Filters and from the Alert Status drop-down menu, select New.
The New status indicates that the alert is new to the system and not updated.
- Click Save.
You created a notification rule that sends the alert text to the target REST-enabled system. Only the alerts where the configured alert impact is Virtualization/Hypervisor Availability and where the alert is configured as a warning are sent to the target instance using the REST plug-in.