As a network operations engineer, you investigated the alert regarding datastore disk space and determined that the provided recommendations will resolve the problem, particularly the recommendation to delete unused snapshots. You use vRealize Operations Manager to delete the snapshots.
Before you begin
Compare the metric charts to identify the likely root cause of the alert. See Compare Alerts and Events Over Time in Response to a Datastore Alert .
About this task
If you have not enabled actions in the vCenter adapter, you can manually delete the snapshots on your vCenter Server instance.
- In the left pane of vRealize Operations Manager, click the Alerts icon.
- Click the alert name link.
- Click the Summary tab.
- Click the Other Recommendations arrow to expand the list.
Other recommendations include the Storage vMotion some virtual machines to a different datastore recommendation and the Delete unused snapshots for virtual machines recommendation. The delete unused snapshot recommendation includes an action button.
- Click Delete Unused Snapshots for Datastore.
- In the Days Old text box, select or enter the number of days old the snapshot must be to be retrieved for deletions and click OK.
For example, enter 30 to retrieve all snapshots on the datastore that are 30 days old or older.
- In the Delete Unused Snapshots for Datastore dialog box, review the Snapshot Space, Snapshot Create Time, and the VM Name to determine which snapshots to delete, and select the check box for each one to delete.
- Click OK.
The dialog box that appears provides a link to Recent Tasks and a link to the task.
- To verify that the task ran successfully, click Recent Tasks.
The Recent Tasks page appears. The Delete Unused Snapshots action include two tasks, one to retrieve the snapshots and one to delete the snapshots.
- Select the Delete Unused Snapshot task that has the more recent completed time.
This is the delete task. The status should be Completed.
In this example, you ran an action on the datastore in vCenter Server. The other recommendations might also be valid.
What to do next
Verify that the recommendations resolve the alert. Allow a few collection cycles to run after you run the action and verify that the alert is canceled. Alerts are canceled when the conditions that generated them are no longer true.
Implement the other recommendations. The other recommendations for this alert require you to use other applications. You cannot implement the recommendations from vRealize Operations Manager.
Use other options to investigate the root cause. See User Scenario: Investigate the Root Cause of a Problem by Using the Troubleshooting Tab Options for an alternative example for investigating the root cause of a problem.