As a virtual infrastructure administrator, you need vRealize Operations Manager to send email notifications to your advanced network engineers when critical alerts are generated for mmbhost object, the host for many virtual machines that run transactional applications, where no one has yet taken ownership of the alert.
Ensure that you have at least one alert definition for which you are sending a notification. For an example of an alert definition, see Create an Alert Definition for Department Objects.
Ensure that at least one instance of the standard email plug-in is configured and running. See Add a Standard Email Plug-In for vRealize Operations Manager Outbound Alerts.
- In the left pane of vRealize Operations Manager, click the Content icon.
- Click Notifications and click the plus sign to add a notification rule.
- In the Name text box type a name similar to Unclaimed Critical Alerts for mmbhost.
- In the Method area, select Standard Email Plug-In from the drop-down menu, and select the configured instance of the email plug-in.
- Configure the email options.
- In the Recipients text box, type the email addresses of the members of your advance engineering team, separating the addresses with a semi-colon (;).
- To send a second notification if the alert is still active after a specified amount of time, type the number of minutes in the Notify again text box.
- Type number of notifications that are sent to users in the Max Notifications text box.
- Configure the scope of filtering criteria.
- From the Scope drop-down menu, select Object.
- Click Click to select Object and type the name of the object.
In this example, type mmbhost.
- Locate and select the object in the list, and click Select.
- Configure the Notification Trigger.
- From the Notification Trigger drop-down menu, select Impact.
- From the adjacent drop-down menu, select Health.
- In the Criticality area, click Critical.
- Expand the Advanced Filters and from the Alert States drop-down menu, select Open.
The Open state indicates that no engineer or administrator has taken ownership of the alert.
- Click Save.
You created a notification rule that sends an email message to the members of your advance network engineering team when any critical alerts are generated for the mmbhost object and the alert is not claimed by an engineer. This email reminds them to look at the alert, take ownership of it, and work to resolve the triggering symptoms.
What to do next
Respond to alert email notifications. See User Scenario: An Alert Arrives in Your Inbox.