You add a Log File plug-in when you want to configure vRealize Operations Manager to log alerts to a file on each of your vRealize Operations Manager nodes. If you installed vRealize Operations Manager as a multiple node cluster, each node processes and logs the alerts for the objects that it monitors. Each node logs the alerts for the objects it processes.
Before you begin
Ensure that you have write access to the file system path on the target vRealize Operations Manager nodes.
About this task
All alerts are added to the log file. You can use other applications to filter and manage the logs.
- In the left pane of vRealize Operations Manager, click the Administration icon.
- Click Outbound Settings and click the plus sign to add a plug-in.
- From the Plug-In Type drop-down menu, select Log File.
The dialog box expands to include your log file settings.
- In the Alert Output Folder text box, enter the folder name.
If the folder does not exist in the target location, the plug-in creates the folder in the target location. The default target location is: /usr/lib/vmware-vcops/common/bin/.
- Click Save.
- To start the outbound alert service for this plug-in, select the instance in the list and click Enable on the toolbar.
This instance of the log file plug-in is configured and running.
What to do next
When the plug-in is started, the alerts are logged in the file. Verify that the log files are created in the target directory as the alerts are generated, updated, or canceled.