To support an increase in the capacity requirements for the objects in your environment, you can create projects to determine whether a purchase of new hardware is necessary.
About this task
To forecast the capacity requirements for your objects when you add, update, or remove hardware capacity, you create projects and add scenarios to those projects. This procedure creates a hardware project that forecasts changes to a host in your cluster.
vRealize Operations Manager has collected data for the last several weeks. See Connecting vRealize Operations Manager to Data Sources.
- In the vRealize Operations Manager inventory tree, select a host.
- Click the Projects tab.
- On the toolbar above the visualization area, from the Capacity Container drop-down menu, click Most Constrained.
- On the toolbar below the visualization area, click Add.
- In the Projects workspace, enter a name and description for the project.
- For the Status, select Planned - no badges affected.
- In the workspace, click Scenarios.
- Under Add Capacity, drag the scenario named add Datastore to the Scenarios area.
- In the Configuration area, enter the general parameters for the project scenario.
Set the date and time to implement the project scenario.
Set the number of datastores to add.
Populate metrics from
Copy the disk space use and allocation metrics from an existing datastore, and select an existing datastore.
Set the amount of disk space use and allocation.
- To view the effect of your selections in the visualization chart, click Save project and continue editing.
With the Capacity Container set to Most Constrained, the visualization chart might indicate a CPU shortfall when you implement the project scenario. This shortfall might occur because the CPU allocation might be greater than the available capacity. In this case, you might need to add CPU capacity before you implement the project scenario.
- When you are satisfied with the capacity forecast based on your settings, click Save to add the scenario to the project.
- On the Projects tab, click your project in the list and drag it to the area above the project list.
vRealize Operations Manager applies your project and scenario to the visualization chart. The capacity forecasted in the project appears as a gray line in the chart.
What to do next
Add the scenario named Add Demand: add percentage of demand to the project, and set the Capacity Container to Disk Space Allocation. The visualization chart might indicate that when you implement the project scenario, you have a disk space shortfall. In this case, you might need to add disk space capacity before you implement the project scenario.
In the visualization chart, evaluate the current available capacity with the actual capacity required if you change your environment as defined in your project. Determine whether to commit the project so that it reserves the capacity required for the hardware change.