To manage your vCenter Server instances in vRealize Operations Manager, you must configure an adapter instance for each vCenter Server instance. The adapter requires the credentials that are used for communication with the target vCenter Server.
Any adapter credentials you add are shared with other adapter administrators and vRealize Operations Manager collector hosts. Other administrators might use these credentials to configure a new adapter instance or to move an adapter instance to a new host.
Verify that you know the vCenter Server credentials that have sufficient privileges to connect and collect data. If the provided credentials have limited access to objects in vCenter Server, all users, regardless of their vCenter Server privileges see only the objects that the provided credentials can access. At a minimum, the user account must have Read privileges and the Read privileges must be assigned at the data center or vCenter Server level.
- On the menu, click Administration and in the left pane click Solutions.
- On the Solutions page, select VMware vSphere and click the Configure icon.
- Enter a display name and description for the adapter instance.
- In the vCenter Server text box, enter the FQDN or IP address of the vCenter Server instance to which you are connecting.
The vCenter Server FQDN or IP address must be reachable from all nodes in the vRealize Operations Manager cluster.
- To add credentials for the vCenter Server instance, click the Add icon, and enter the required credentials.
- The adapter is configured to run actions on objects in the vCenter Server from vRealize Operations Manager. If you do not want to run actions, select Disable.
The credentials provided for the vCenter Server instance are also used to run actions. If you do not want to use these credentials, you can provide alternative credentials by expanding Alternate Action Credentials, and clicking the Add icon.
- Click Test Connection to validate the connection with your vCenter Server instance.
- In the Review and Accept Certificate dialog box, review the certificate information.
If the certificate presented in the dialog box matches the certificate for your target vCenter Server, click OK.
If you do not recognize the certificate as valid, click Cancel. The test fails and the connection to vCenter Server is not completed. You must provide a valid vCenter Server URL or verify the certificate on the vCenter Server is valid before completing the adapter configuration.
- To modify the advanced options regarding collectors, object discovery, or change events, expand the Advanced Settings.
For information about these advanced settings, search for the VMware vSphere Solution Workspace Options in the Information Center.
- To adjust the default monitoring policy that vRealize Operations Manager uses to analyze and display information about the objects in your environment, click Define Monitoring Goals.
For information about monitoring goals, search for the VMware vSphere Solution Workspace Options in the Information Center.
- Click Save Settings.
The adapter instance is added to the list.
vRealize Operations Manager begins collecting data from the vCenter Server instance. Depending on the number of managed objects, the initial collection can take more than one collection cycle. A standard collection cycle begins every five minutes.
What to do next
If you configured the adapter to run actions, configure user access for the actions by creating action roles and user groups.