You can create a single node and configure this as a master node or create a master node in a cluster to handle additional data. All vRealize Operations Manager installations require a master node. With a single node cluster, administration and data functions are on the same master node. A multiple-node vRealize Operations Manager cluster contains one master node and one or more nodes for handling additional data.
Create a node by deploying the vRealize Operations Manager vApp.
After it is deployed, note the fully qualified domain name (FQDN) or IP address of the node.
If you plan to use a custom authentication certificate, verify that your certificate file meets the requirements for vRealize Operations Manager.
- Navigate to the name or IP address of the node that will be the master node of vRealize Operations Manager.
The setup wizard appears, and you do not need to log in to vRealize Operations Manager.
- Click New Installation.
- Click Next.
- Enter and confirm a password for the admin user account, and click Next.
Passwords require a minimum of 8 characters, one uppercase letter, one lowercase letter, one digit, and one special character.
The user account name is admin by default and cannot be changed.
- Select whether to use the certificate included with vRealize Operations Manager or to install one of your own.
- To use your own certificate, click Browse, locate the certificate file, and click Open to load the file in the Certificate Information text box.
- Review the information detected from your certificate to verify that it meets the requirements for vRealize Operations Manager.
- Click Next.
- Enter a name for the master node.
For example: Ops-Master
- Enter the URL or IP address for the Network Time Protocol (NTP) server with which the cluster will synchronize.
For example: nist.time.gov
- Click Add.
Leave the NTP blank to have vRealize Operations Manager manage its own synchronization by having all nodes synchronize with the master node and replica node.
- Click the add icon to add an another node. This is optional.
- Enter the Node Name and Node Address.
- Select the Current Cluster Role.
By checking the Enable High Availability for this cluster option, you can select a node from the added list of nodes to be the replica node. Although, only one node from the list can be chosen as a replica node. Before saving the data, you can also delete the node from the list of added nodes.
- Click Next, and click Finish.
The administration interface appears, and it takes a moment for vRealize Operations Manager to finish adding the master node.
You have created a master node to which you can add more nodes.
What to do next
After creating the master node, you have the following options.
Create and add data nodes to the unstarted cluster.
Create and add remote collector nodes to the unstarted cluster.
Click Start vRealize Operations Manager to start the single-node cluster, and log in to finish configuring the product.
The cluster might take from 10 to 30 minutes to start, depending on the size of your cluster and nodes. Do not make changes or perform any actions on cluster nodes while the cluster is starting.