To manage your vCenter Server instances in vRealize Operations Manager, you must configure an adapter instance for each vCenter Server instance. The adapter requires the credentials that are used for communication with the target vCenter Server.
- On the menu, click Administration and in the left pane click Solutions.
- On the Solutions page, select VMware vSphere and click the Configure icon.
- Enter a display name and description for the adapter instance.
- In the vCenter Server text box, enter the FQDN or IP address of the vCenter Server instance to which you are connecting.
The vCenter Server FQDN or IP address must be reachable from all nodes in the vRealize Operations Manager cluster.
- To add credentials for the vCenter Server instance, click the Add icon, and enter the required credentials. The vCenter credential must have Performance > Modify intervals permission enabled in the target vCenter to collect VM guest metrics.
- The adapter is configured to run actions on objects in the vCenter Server from vRealize Operations Manager. If you do not want to run actions, select Disable.
The credentials provided for the vCenter Server instance are also used to run actions. If you do not want to use these credentials, you can provide alternative credentials by expanding Alternate Action Credentials, and clicking the Add icon.
- Click Test Connection to validate the connection with your vCenter Server instance.
- In the Review and Accept Certificate dialog box, review the certificate information.
- If the certificate presented in the dialog box matches the certificate for your target vCenter Server, click OK.
- If you do not recognize the certificate as valid, click Cancel. The test fails and the connection to vCenter Server is not completed. You must provide a valid vCenter Server URL or verify the certificate on the vCenter Server is valid before completing the adapter configuration.
- To modify the advanced options regarding collectors, object discovery, or change events, expand the Advanced Settings.
For information about these advanced settings, see the Manage Solution - VMware vSphere Solution Workspace Options.For information about these advanced settings, search for the VMware vSphere Solution Workspace Options in the Information Center.
- To adjust the default monitoring policy that vRealize Operations Manager uses to analyze and display information about the objects in your environment, click Define Monitoring Goals.
For information about monitoring goals, see the Manage Solution - VMware vSphere Solution Workspace Options.For information about monitoring goals, search for the VMware vSphere Solution Workspace Options in the Information Center.
- Click Save Settings.
The adapter instance is added to the list.
vRealize Operations Manager begins collecting data from the vCenter Server instance. Depending on the number of managed objects, the initial collection can take more than one collection cycle. A standard collection cycle begins every five minutes.
For information about the network port that vRealize Operations Manager uses to communicate with a vCenter Server system and vRealize Operations Manager components, see #GUID-C3FA6F3C-6BDC-4785-944C-9978311A98BE.
What to do next
If you configured the adapter to run actions, configure user access for the actions by creating action roles and user groups.