A resource interaction file is a custom set of metrics that you want to display in widgets that support the option. You can configure one or more files that define different sets of metrics for particular object types so that the supported widgets are populated based the configured metrics and selected object type.
The following widgets support the resource interaction mode:
- Metric Chart
- Property List
- Rolling View Chart
- Sparkline Chart
- Topology Graph
To use the metric configuration, which displays a set of metrics that you defined in an XML file, the dashboard and widget configuration must meet the following criteria:
- The dashboard Widget Interaction options are configured so that another widget provides objects to the target widget. For example, an Object List widget provides the object interaction to a chart widget.
- The widget Self Provider option is set to Off.
- The custom XML file in the Metric Configuration drop-down menu is in the/usr/lib/vmware-vcops/tools/opscli directory and has been imported into the global storage using the import command.
- Verify that you have the necessary permissions to access the installed files for vRealize Operations Manager and add files.
- Create a new files based on the existing examples. Examples are available in the following location:
- vApp. The XML file is in /usr/lib/vmware-vcops/tomcat-web-app/webapps/vcops-web-ent/WEB-INF/classes/resources/reskndmetrics.
- Create an XML file that defines the set of metrics.
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="yes"?> <AdapterKinds> <AdapterKind adapterKindKey="VMWARE"> <ResourceKind resourceKindKey="HostSystem"> <Metric attrkey="sys:host/vim/vmvisor/slp|resourceMemOverhead_latest" /> <Metric attrkey="cpu|capacity_provisioned" /> <Metric attrkey="mem|host_contention" /> </ResourceKind> </AdapterKind> </AdapterKinds>In this example, the displayed data for the host system based on the specified metrics.
- Save the XML file in one of the following directories base on the operating system of your vRealize Operations Manager instance.
Operating System File Location vApp /usr/lib/vmware-vcops/tools/opscli
- Run the import command.
Operating System File Location vApp ./ops-cli.sh file import reskndmetric YourCustomFilename.xmlThe file is imported into global storage and is accessible from the supported widgets.
- If you update an exisiting file and must re-import the file, append --force to the above import command and run it.
For example, ./vcops-cli.sh file import reskndmetric YourCustomFilename.xml --force.
What to do next
To verify that the XML file is imported, configure one of the supported widgets and ensure that the new file appears in the drop-down menu.
You can also create a custom set of metrics to display the widgets, from the Metric Configurations page.