Implement all the best practices when you deploy a production instance of vRealize Operations Manager.
- Deploy analytics nodes in the same vSphere Cluster except when enabling Continuous Availability.
- Deploy analytics nodes with the same disk size on storage of the same type.
- When enabling Continuous Availability, separate analytics nodes into fault domains based on their physical location.
- Depending on the size and performance requirements for analytics nodes, apply Storage DRS Anti-Affinity rules to ensure that nodes are on separate datastores.
- Set Storage DRS to manual for all vRealize Operations Manager analytics nodes.
- If you deploy analytics nodes into a highly consolidated vSphere cluster, configure the resource reservation to ensure optimal performance. Ensure that the virtual CPU to physical CPU ratio is not negatively impacting the performance of analytics nodes by validating CPU ready time and CPU co-stop.
- Analytics nodes have a high number of vCPUs to ensure performance of the analytics computation that occurs on each node. Monitor CPU Ready time and CPU Co-Stop to ensure that analytics nodes are not competing for CPU capacity.
- If the sizing guideline provides several configurations for the same number of objects, use the configuration which has the least number of nodes. For example, if the number of collecting is 120,000, configure the cluster with four extra-large nodes instead of 12 large nodes.
- Deploy an extra even number of nodes to enable Continuous Availability. If the current configuration is an odd number of analytics nodes, deploy an extra analytics node to create an even pairing.
Remote Collector Nodes
Remote collector nodes are additional cluster nodes that allow vRealize Operations Manager to gather more objects into its inventory for monitoring.
- Deploy remote collector nodes when the cluster is online.
- Deploy remote collector nodes one at a time. Adding multiple remote collectors in parallel can cause the cluster to crash.
A witness node is required when continuous availability is enabled to manage the analytics nodes in the fault domains.
- Deploy the witness node before enabling continuous availability.
- Deploy the witness node using the witness configuration.
- Deploy the witness node in a different cluster separate from the analytics nodes.
Management Packs and Adapters
Various management packs and adapters have specific configuration requirements. Ensure that you are familiar with all prerequisites before you install a solution and configure the adapter instance.
- Utilize remote collector groups to separate data collection into fault domains when continuous availability is enabled.
vRealize Application Remote Collector and Telegraf Agents
- Deploy vRealize Application Remote Collector in the same vCenter Server as the end point VMs on which you want to deploy the Telegraf agents.
- Ensure that your operating system platform is supported by vRealize Application Remote Collector, and the most recent versions of Windows and Linux OS are supported.
- System times must be synchronized between vRealize Application Remote Collector, end point VMs, the vCenter Server, ESX host, and vRealize Operations Manager. To ensure synchronized time, use Network Time Protocol (NTP).
- Disable UAC on Endpoint VMs before installing the Telegraf agent. If you cannot do this due to security restrictions, see KB article 70780 for a work around script.
- Ensure that the latest version of VMware Tools is installed on the end point VM on which you want to deploy the Telegraf agent.
- To deploy Telegraf agents onto end point VMs, ensure that the following prerequisites are met for the user account being used for deployment:
Windows - The user account must be either:
- An administrator account
- A non-administrator account that is a member of the built-in administrator group
Linux - The user account must be either:
- A root user with all privileges
- A non-root user with all privileges
- A non-root user with specific privileges
For more information, see User Account Prerequisites in the vRealize Operations Manager Configuration Guide.
- Primary Replica
- Remote Collector
See the vRealize Operations Manager vApp Deployment and Configuration Guide for more information.