You can take a snapshot of your Orchestrator configuration and import this configuration into a new Orchestrator instance to back up your Orchestrator configuration. You can also back up the Orchestrator elements that you modified.
About this task
If you edit any standard workflows, actions, policies, Web views, or configuration elements, and then import a package containing the same elements with a higher Orchestrator version number, your changes to the elements are lost. To make modified and custom elements available after the upgrade, you must export them in a package before you start the upgrade procedure.
Each Orchestrator server instance has unique certificates, and each vCenter Server plug-in instance has a unique ID. The certificates and the unique ID define the identity of the Orchestrator server and the vCenter Server plug-in. If you do not export the Orchestrator configuration or back up the Orchestrator elements for backup purposes, make sure that you change these identifiers.
- Log in to the Orchestrator configuration interface as vmware.
- On the General tab, click Export Configuration.
- (Optional) Type a password to protect the configuration file.
Use the same password when you import the configuration.
- Click Export.
- Log in to the Orchestrator client application.
- Create a package that contains all the Orchestrator elements that you created or edited.
- Click the Packages view.
- Click the menu button in the title bar of the Packages list and select Add package.
- Name the new package and click OK.
The syntax for package names is domain.your_company.folder.package_name..
For example, com.vmware.myfolder.mypackage.
- Right-click the package and select Edit.
- On the General tab, add a description for the package.
- On the Workflows tab, add workflows to the package.
- (Optional) Add policy templates, actions, Web views, configuration elements, resource elements, and plug-ins to the package.
- Export the package.
- Right-click the package to export and select Export package.
- Browse to select a location where you want to save the package and click Open.
- (Optional) Sign the package with a specific certificate.
- (Optional) Impose restrictions on the exported package.
- (Optional) To apply restrictions for the contents of the exported package, deselect the options as required.
Export version history
The version history of the package is not exported.
Export the values of the configuration settings
The attribute values of the configuration elements in the package are not exported.
Export global tags
The global tags in the package are not exported.
- Click Save.
- Import the Orchestrator configuration to the new Orchestrator server instance.
- Log in to the Orchestrator configuration interface of the new Orchestrator instance as vmware.
- On the General tab, click Import Configuration.
- Type the password you used when exporting the configuration.
This step is not necessary if you have not specified a password.
- Browse to select the .vmoconfig file you exported from your previous installation.
- Select whether to override the Orchestrator internal certificate and network settings.
Select the check box only to restore your Orchestrator configuration and the .vmoconfig file is the backup file of the same Orchestrator configuration.
- Click Import.
- Import the exported package to the new Orchestrator instance.
- Log in to the Orchestrator client application of the new Orchestrator instance.
- From the drop-down menu in the Orchestrator client, select Administer.
- Click the Packages view.
- Right-click within the left pane and select Import package.
- Browse to select the package that you want to import and click Open.
Certificate information about the exporter appears.
- Review the package import details and select Import or Import and trust provider.
The Import package view appears. If the version of the imported package element is later than the version on the server, the system selects the element for import.
- Deselect the elements that you do not want to import.
For example, deselect custom elements for which later versions exist.
- (Optional) Deselect the Import the values of the configuration settings check box if you do not want to import the values of the configuration elements attributes from the package.
- From the drop-down menu, choose whether you want to import tags from the package.
Import tags but preserve existing values
Import tags from the package without overwriting existing tag values.
Import tags and overwrite existing values
Import tags from the package and overwrite their values.
Do not import tags
Do not import tags from the package.
- Click Import selected elements.