To upgrade Orchestrator on a 64-bit Microsoft Windows machine that is different from the machine on which vCenter Server runs, run the latest version of the Orchestrator standalone installer.
Before you begin
Create a backup of the Orchestrator database.
Back up your Orchestrator configuration, custom workflows, and packages. See Back Up the Orchestrator Configuration and Elements.
Log in as Administrator to the Windows machine on which you are performing the upgrade.
Download the vRealize Orchestrator installer from the VMware Web site.
- Stop the Orchestrator server services.
- Select .
- In the right pane, right-click VMware vRealize Orchestrator Server and select Stop.
- In the right pane, right-click VMware vRealize Orchestrator Configuration and select Stop.
- (Optional) : Back up your Orchestrator plug-in files and their configurations so that you can import them after the upgrade.
To back up the plug-ins
Copy the files from install_directory\VMware\Orchestrator\app-server\plugins to your backup location.
To back up the plug-in configurations
Copy the files from install_directory\VMware\Orchestrator\app-server\conf\plugins to your backup location.
- Start the Orchestrator installer.
Browse to the download location of the installer and start vRealizeOrchestrator-6.0.0.exe
- Click Next.
- Accept the terms in the license agreement and click Next.
- Select Continue with update to upgrade Orchestrator.
- After the installer detects the installation directory, click Next .
You cannot change the installation directory when you are upgrading Orchestrator. To change this parameter, you must perform a new installation.
- Select the upgrade that matches your existing Orchestrator installation and click Next.
Upgrades the Orchestrator client application.
Upgrades the Orchestrator server platform.
Upgrades the Orchestrator client and server.
For example, if you have installed only the Orchestrator client, select Client and then upgrade your Orchestrator server separately.Important:
The versions of the Orchestrator client and server must be the same.
- Select the location for the Orchestrator shortcuts and click Next.
The name of the shortcuts directory must contain only ASCII characters.
- Click Install to start the installation process.
- Click Done to close the installer.
- (Optional) : Import the backed up plug-in files to your new Orchestrator version.
To import the plug-ins
Copy the backed up files to install_directory\VMware\Orchestrator\app-server\plugins.
To import the plug-in configurations
Copy the backed up files to install_directory\VMware\Orchestrator\app-server\conf\plugins.
Orchestrator automatically upgrades the plug-ins that are installed with it by default. Import only changed plug-in files.
- Start the Orchestrator configuration service and log in to the Orchestrator configuration interface.
- Reimport the SSL certificate for the licensed vCenter Server and start the Orchestrator server.
- On the Plug-ins tab, click Reload all plug-ins.
- On the Startup Options tab, click Restart the vRO configuration server.
- Click Start service to start the Orchestrator server.
You upgraded to the latest version of Orchestrator. The existing Orchestrator configuration is preserved.