Calling a workflow asynchronously runs the called workflow independently of the calling workflow. The calling workflow continues its run without waiting for the called workflow to complete.
Before you begin
Open a workflow for editing in the workflow editor.
Add some elements to the workflow schema.
About this task
You call workflows asynchronously from another workflow by using the Asynchronous Workflow element.
- Drag an Asynchronous Workflow element from the Generic menu to the appropriate position in the workflow schema.
The Choose workflow selection dialog box appears.
- Search for and select the desired workflow from the list and click OK.
- Click the Edit icon () of the Asynchronous Workflow element in the workflow schema.
- Bind the required input parameters to the workflow in IN tab of the asynchronous workflow element.
- Bind the required output parameter in the OUT tab of the asynchronous workflow element.
You can bind the output parameter either to the called workflow, or to that workflow's result.
Bind to the called workflow to return that workflow as an output parameter
Bind to the workflow token of the called workflow to return the result of running the called workflow.
- Define the exception behavior of the asynchronous workflow element in the Exceptions tab.
- Click Close.
- Click Save at the bottom of the workflow editor.
You called a workflow asynchronously from another workflow. When the workflow reaches the asynchronous workflow during its run, the asynchronous workflow starts, and the initial workflow continues its run without waiting for the asynchronous workflow to finish.
What to do next
You can schedule a workflow to start at a later time and date.