Calling a workflow synchronously runs the called workflow as a part of the run of the calling workflow. The calling workflow can use the called workflow's output parameters as input parameters when it runs its subsequent schema elements.
About this task
You call workflows synchronously from another workflow by using the Workflow element.
Open a workflow for editing in the workflow editor.
Add some elements to the workflow schema.
- Drag a Workflow element from the Generic menu to the appropriate position in the workflow schema.
The Choose workflow selection dialog box appears.
- Search for ands select the workflow you want and click OK.
If the search returns a partial result, narrow your search criterion or increase the number of search results from themenu in the client.
- Click the Workflow element to show its properties tabs in the bottom half of the Schema tab.
- Click the Edit icon () of the Workflow element in the workflow schema.
- Bind the required input parameters to the workflow in the IN tab of the workflow schema element.
- Bind the required output parameters to the workflow in the OUT tab of the workflow schema element's.
- Define the exception behavior of the workflow in the Exceptions tab.
- Click Close.
- Click Save at the bottom of the workflow editor.
You called a workflow synchronously from another workflow. When the workflow reaches the synchronous workflow during its run, the synchronous workflow starts, and the initial workflow waits for it to complete before continuing its run.
What to do next
You can call a workflow asynchronously from a workflow.