The ability to deliver Infrastructure as a service (IaaS) represents the technological and organizational transformation from traditional data center operations to cloud. You can model and provision VMs and services across private, public, or hybrid cloud infrastructure.
In the SDDC, provider groups or organizations can isolate and abstract resources in the form of infrastructure and application services, and make them available to tenant groups or organizations.
The cloud management layer delivers a self-service user portal that lowers administrative overhead through the use of policies to provision infrastructure services. Administrators use policies to control the consumption of services in a detailed and flexible fashion. Approval requirements can be part of each service.
You can build the infrastructure service by using several components.
|Infrastructure Service Section||Design Components|
|vRealize Automation virtual appliance||
|vRealize Automation IaaS||
|Distributed execution manager||
vRealize Automation distributed execution managers consist of DEM Orchestrator instances and DEM Worker instances.
|Integration||vRealize Automation Agent machines|
|Cost management||vRealize Business Cloud|
An infrastructure service is deployed in multiple stages.
For an in-depth discussion of key IaaS concepts, see the vRealize Automation information about Infrastructure as a Service.
- Self-Service Portal
- vRealize Automation provides a secure portal where authorized administrators, developers, or business users can request new IT services.
- Infrastructure Components
- To deploy vRealize Automation, you configure some VMware products such as vSphere and vCloud Air, and you configure vRealize Automation components such as physical machine endpoints, fabric groups, and blueprints.
- Services and Tenants
- The service catalog provides a unified self-service portal for consuming IT services. Users can browse the catalog to request items, track their requests, and manage their provisioned items.
- Cost Management
- Solutions that integrate with vRealize Automation, such as vRealize Business Cloud, support cost exploration and management.