A system administrator backs up the full vRealize Automation installation regularly. Plan the backup around efficiencies and periods of low activity.
Online backups are supported by vRealize Automation 8.0.1 or later. For information on automatically shutting down and starting up the vRealize Automation 8.0 services, see Shut Down vRealize Automation 8.0 Appliance.
A complete backup includes the following components:
- vRealize Automation 8.x
- The vRealize Automation appliances
- The VMware Identity Manager appliance
- The VMware vRealize Suite Lifecycle Manager appliance
- Load balancers that support your distributed deployment. Consult the vendor documentation for your load balancer for information about backup considerations.
Guidelines for Planning Backups of vRealize Automation 8.x
Use the following guidelines to plan backups:
- When you back up a complete system, back up all instances of the vRealize Automation and VMware Identity Manager appliance as near simultaneously as possible, preferably within seconds.
- Minimize the number of active transactions before you begin a backup. Schedule your regular backup to when your system is least active.
- When you back up the vRealize Automation appliance, disable the in-memory snapshots.
- Create a backup of instances of the vRealize Automation appliance when you update the certificates.