Depending on the recovery target and IP customizations applied during the backup configuration, manual configuration changes are required to one or more vRealize Log Insight nodes before the restored site can become fully functional.
Recovering to the Same Host
- All network, IP, and FQDN settings that are used for the production environment should be preserved in the restored site.
- The original copy of the cluster is overwritten with the restored version unless a new name is provided to the virtual machine, during the restore process.
- If the same IP addresses and FQDNs are used for the restored cluster nodes as per the default settings, power down the existing cluster before beginning the restore.
- After a successful restoration and validation, delete the old copy to conserve resources and to prevent potential issues.
Recovering to a Different Host
You must perform manual configuration on vRealize Log Insight, if you are restoring to a different host cluster. For information about changes that are specific to vRealize Log Insight 3.3.0 versions, see Restore to a Different Host. It is assumed that the restored vRealize Log Insight nodes have been assigned different IP addresses and FQDNs than their source counterparts from which a backup was taken.
Recovering vRealize Log Insight Forwarders
The manual instructions for recovering vRealize Log Insight forwarders are the same as that of the vRealize Log Insight server as described above.
Recovering vRealize Log Insight Agents
- If agent configuration is made on the client side, that is on agent OS, replace the agent.ini using the backup copy.
- If configuration changes are made on the server side, that is vRealize Log Insight master node, no backup and recovery is required for the agent virtual machines.
Confirming the Restoration
- Verify that you can access the vRealize Log Insight user interface using the Internal Load Balancer (ILB) IP address or FQDN (if configured) as well as access all individual cluster nodes using respective IP addresses or FQDNs.
- From the vRealize Log Insight Administration page:
- Verify the status of cluster nodes from the cluster page and make sure the ILB, if configured, is also in an active state.
- Verify the vSphere integration. If required, reconfigure the integration. This occurs when the ILB and/or the master node IP address or FQDN is changed post-recovery.
- Verify the vRealize Operations Manager integration and reconfigure again if needed.
- Verify that all content packs and UI features are functioning correctly.
- Verify that vRealize Log Insight forwarders and agents, if configured, are functioning correctly.
- Verify that other key features of vRealize Log Insight are functioning as expected.