If you move the ESXi Server on which the vSphere Replication appliance runs to the inventory of another vCenter Server instance, vSphere Replication operations are not available. vSphere Replication operations are also unavailable if you reinstall vCenter Server.
If the ESXi Server instance on which vSphere Replication runs is disconnected from vCenter Server and is connected to another vCenter Server instance, you cannot access vSphere Replication functions. If you try to restart vSphere Replication, the service does not start.
The OVF environment for the vSphere Replication appliance is stored in the vCenter Server database. When the ESXi host is removed from the vCenter Server inventory, the OVF environment for the vSphere Replication appliance is lost. This action disables the mechanisms that the vSphere Replication appliance uses to authenticate with vCenter Server.
- If possible, redeploy the vSphere Replication appliance and configure all replications and if possible, reuse the existing .vmdk files as initial copies.
- Power off the old vSphere Replication appliances.
- Remove any temporary hbr* files from the target datastore folders.
- Deploy new vSphere Replication appliances and connect the sites.
- Configure all replications, reusing the existing replica .vmdk files as initial copies.
- If you cannot redeploy the vSphere Replication appliance, use the VAMI to connect vSphere Replication to the original vCenter Server instance.
- Reconnect the ESXi host to vCenter Server.
- Connect to the VAMI of the vSphere Replication server at https://vr-server-address:5480 .
- Select the Configuration tab.
- Type username:password@vcenter_server_address in vCenter Server Address, where username and password are credentials of the vCenter Server administrator.
- Type the correct managed object id of the appliance VM in Appliance VM MO value. Use the vCenter Server MOB to obtain the appliance id.
- Click Save and Restart Service.
If you use the VAMI solution, you must repeat the steps each time that you change the vSphere Replication certificate.