The vSphere Replication appliance provides all the components that vSphere Replication requires.
- A plug-in to the vSphere Web Client that provides a user interface for vSphere Replication.
- An embedded database that stores replication configuration and management information.
- A vSphere Replication management server:
- Configures the vSphere Replication server.
- Enables, manages, and monitors replications.
- Authenticates users and checks their permissions to perform vSphere Replication operations.
- A vSphere Replication server that provides the core of the vSphere Replication infrastructure.
You can use vSphere Replication immediately after you deploy the appliance. The vSphere Replication appliance provides a virtual appliance management interface (VAMI) that you can use to reconfigure the appliance after deployment, if necessary. For example, you can use the VAMI to change the appliance security settings, change the network settings, or configure an external database. You can deploy additional vSphere Replication Servers using a separate .ovf package.