You run a test recovery to verify that data is replicated correctly from the source virtual machine to the target cloud organization.
About this task
If the test network is not isolated from the production network and these networks have common routing, a test recovery of a replicated virtual machine might result in duplicate MAC addresses in your virtual data center. If you use the same network for test recoveries and for production, and if you have not disabled the automatic copying of network configurations, see http://kb.vmware.com/kb/2086292.
Configure at least one replication task.
Verify that the status of the replication task allows running test recoveries.
Test recoveries are allowed for the following replication statuses: OK, OK (RPO Violation), Error, Error (RPO Violation), Full Sync, Full Sync (RPO Violation), Not Active, Not Active (RPO Violation), Paused, Sync, and Sync (RPO Violation).Note:
By default, the Test Status column is not visible in the list of outgoing replications . To view the column, right-click the table header, select Show/Hide Columns, select the Test Status check box, and click OK.
If you have run test recoveries for the replication that you want to test, verify that you have cleared the test results.Note:
You cannot run a test recovery before you clean up your previous test results for a replication.
- In the vSphere Web Client, click the Monitor tab, and click vSphere Replication.
- In the Outgoing Replications list, click the replication for which you want to run a test recovery.
- Click the Run test recovery icon .
The Test Recovery wizard opens. If the user session to the target cloud organization is expired, the wizard prompts you to enter user credentials.
- On the Test recovery options page, select a data synchronization option and click Next.
Synchronize recent changes
vSphere Replication runs a synchronization task before it configures the placeholder virtual machine on the target site for testing.
Use a point in time instance
vSphere Replication configures the placeholder virtual machine for testing and uses the data that is copied on the target site at the point in time that you select from the list .
- (Optional) To power on the test virtual machine on the target site after test configuration completes, select Power on the test virtual machine on the Ready to complete page.
- Verify that the test configuration is correct, and click Finish.
The test recovery status appears under the list of replications, on the Test tab.
You cannot stop a replication while a test recovery for the replication is in progress.
What to do next
After you verify that data appears as expected in the test virtual machine, clean up the test results.