To determine the bandwidth that vSphere Replication requires to replicate virtual machines efficiently, you calculate the average data change rate within an RPO period, divided by the link speed.
- All the different RPOs in the environment.
- The subset of virtual machines in your environment that is replicated.
- The change rate of the data within that subset.
- The number of data changes within each configured RPO.
- The link speeds in your network.
- Examine how data change rate, traffic rates, and the link speed meet the RPO.
- Look at the aggregate of each group.
- Identify the average data change rate within the RPO by calculating the average change rate over a longer period, then dividing it by the RPO.
- Calculate how much traffic this data change rate generates in each RPO period.
- Measure the traffic against your link speed.
For example, a data change rate of 100GB requires approximately 200 hours to replicate on a T1 network, 30 hours to replicate on a 10Mbps network, 3 hours on a 100Mbps network.