If you want to upgrade the additional vSphere Replication servers, you must use a downloadable ISO image. To ensure a successful upgrade, follow the sequence of instructions.
- Download the
VMware-vSphere_Replication-8.5.x.x-build_number.isoimage from the vSphere Downloads page. Copy the ISO image file to a datastore that is accessible from the vCenter Server instance that you use with vSphere Replication.
- Verify that you are currently running a version, which allows you to upgrade directly to vSphere Replication 8.5.
- You can directly upgrade to vSphere Replication 8.5, only if the version of vSphere Replication you currently run is 8.3.x or 8.4.x.
- If you run an earlier version of vSphere Replication, you must upgrade your vSphere Replication instance to version 8.4 first. For example, to upgrade vSphere Replication 6.5.1 to version 8.5, you must first upgrade 6.5.1 to 8.4.
Important: If you currently run vSphere Replication 8.3 and want to upgrade to vSphere Replication 8.5, please follow the vSphere Replication 8.4 upgrade process. See Upgrade Additional vSphere Replication Servers.
- Stop the vSphere Replication Additional Server virtual machine.
- In the vSphere Client, right-click the vSphere Replication Additional Server virtual machine and select Edit Settings.
- Power on the vSphere Replication Additional Server virtual machine.
- In the vSphere Client, right-click the vSphere Replication virtual machine and select Edit Settings.
- On the Virtual Hardware tab, select .
- Navigate to the ISO image in the datastore.
- For File Type, select ISO Image and click OK.
- Select the option to connect at power-on and follow the prompts to add the CD/DVD drive to the vSphere Replication virtual machine.
- Power on the vSphere Replication virtual machine.
- In a Web browser, log in to the VRMS Appliance Management Interface.
The URL for the VRMS Appliance Management Interface is https:// vr_appliance_address:5480.
- Click the Update tab, and click Edit.
- Select Use CD-ROM and click OK.
The appliance version appears in the list of available updates.
- In the Available updates pane, click Install.
- Accept the End-User License Agreement and click Install.
After the update is complete, the appliance restarts.
- Login to the VRMS Appliance Management Interface as admin and verify that the version is 8.5.0.
What to do next
- Upgrade the vSphere Replication appliance. See Upgrade vSphere Replication Appliance.