You can use the vSphere Replication 8.6 Configuration Import/Export Tool to export and import configuration data about the replications created in vSphere Replication.
If you plan to migrate vSphere Replication to a different host, you can use the tool to export replication settings and the related objects into an XML file. You can then import the configuration data from the previously exported file.
The vSphere Replication 8.6 Configuration Import/Export Tool creates new outgoing replications only for the local site. It does not create incoming replications and it does not modify the existing replications. For example, if you export 10 outgoing replications and delete 6 of them, the import operation configures only the six deleted replications. It skips processing the four existing replications.
When you deploy the vSphere Replication appliance, the vSphere Replication 8.6 Configuration Import/Export Tool is also deployed with the appliance. The tool is located in the /opt/vmware/vr-impex-tool directory.
Requirements for Using the vSphere Replication 8.6 Configuration Import/Export Tool
- You must have Java 1.8.x installed.
- The JAVA_HOME environment variable must be properly configured. For example, JAVA_HOME=C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.8.0_152 for Windows, or JAVA_HOME=/usr/java/jre1.8.0_152 for Linux.
Requirements for Exporting and Importing Replication Groups Configuration Data
- Before you can export a configuration, you must have a site pair with vSphere Replication 8.6.x up and running on both the protected and the recovery site.
- Import is supported in a clean vSphere Replication 8.6.x installation, registered to the same vCenter Server instance or to a vCenter Server instance which contains the same inventory.
Input Parameters Required for Import
- Lookup Service host name. The host name of the Platform Services Controller or the vCenter Server host name, if you are using vCenter Server with an Embedded Platform Services Controller.
- vCenter Single Sign-On administrator user name and password for both sites.
The vSphere Replication 8.6 Configuration Import/Export Tool exports the host folder information, compute resources, network and datastore information, datastore paths, RPO settings, multiple points in time (MPIT), quiescing, network compression, and so on.
|443||On-premises vCenter Server||vCenter Server HTTPS port|
|443||On-premises Platform Services Controller / Lookup service||Platform Services Controller HTTPS port|
|8043||On-premises vSphere Replication||vSphere Replication port|