As a vCenter admin, you must perform the following steps to view the actual usage metric per storage policy.
- Log in to vCenter console.
- Create a Category called 'storage type'. For details on how to create a new category, refer to Create a Tag topic in the VMware vCenter Server and Host Management guide.
- Under the Datastore page, click Add Tag and provide the storage policy name and select the category as Storage Type. For example, if GOLD is the name of the storage policy and DS1 is the datastore, create GOLD tag and assign it to DS1.
- Use tag-based storage placements to ensure the created VM disks are associated to the Datastore. For example, GOLD storage policy is existing/created and GOLD tag is added in tag-based placement rule.
- Repeat step 3 and 4 for existing Datastores.
Note: Only one Tag per category 'storage type' must be assigned to Datastore. If there is no specific storage policy assigned, you can assign a Tag called '*', which signifies 'any' storage policy in vCD.