Download and run the latest version of the App Volumes installer to upgrade your App Volumes Manager. You can upgrade from App Volumes Manager 2.18 to the latest App Volumes Manager version.
If you want to upgrade multiple App Volumes Managers which point to a central database, open services.msc and stop the App Volumes Manager service on each server. You must then run the installer on each server to upgrade App Volumes.
The import functionality has changed in App Volumes 4, version 2012. For optimal import functionality, ensure all App Volumes Manager servers are upgraded to App Volumes 4, 2012 before performing import actions. For more information about the behavior of imported application packages, see the latest version of VMware App Volumes 4 Administration guide at VMware Docs.
For minor and maintenance upgrades, see Considerations for Performing Rolling Upgrades.
- Download the latest App Volumes installer from My VMware.
- Schedule a maintenance window to ensure that there is no service degradation during the upgrade process.
- In the Windows Start menu, open Control Panel and click . Note down the database and server name defined in the system ODBC source svmanager.
- Back up the App Volumes database using SQL Server tools.
- Create a full server backup or snapshot of the App Volumes Manager server.
- If you are using App Volumes Manager earlier than 2.18, you must first upgrade to App Volumes Manager 2.18 or later.
- Log in as administrator on the machine where App Volumes Manager is installed.
- Locate the App Volumes installer that you downloaded and double-click the setup.msi file.
- Select the App Volumes Manager component and click Install.
A notification window with the upgrade process details is displayed.
- Click Next to confirm the upgrade.
- Click Install to begin the installation.
A Status Bar shows the progress of the installation. The installation process takes from 5 through 10 minutes to finish. During this time, configuration information is first backed-up, new files are installed, and the configuration information is restored.
- Click Finish to complete the installation.
What to do next
- Upgrade App Volumes Agent.
- If the App Volumes version you have upgraded to has new or upgraded templates and you want to use these templates, see the Upload Templates section in the VMware App Volumes Administration Guide at VMware Docs.
- After you have upgraded App Volumes to the latest version, you can activate registration security. If you have a multi-manager setup, you must also register any additional App Volumes Manager servers.
For details, see the Register App Volumes Manager Server section in the VMware App Volumes Administration Guide at VMware Docs.