The VMware Aria Automation trial activation process creates a set of starter objects in VMware Aria Automation, including a catalog item and cloud template. It also creates infrastructure objects such as a project, VMware Cloud on AWS cloud account, cloud zone, flavor and size mappings, a network for deployments, a network profile, and a storage profile.
For this example, a storage profile and a network profile are created in the SDDC as part of the trial activation process. The storage profile contains a default workload data store or cluster. The network profile contains a default single network. A small, medium, large, and extra large flavor mapping is also created as part of the trial activation to simplify deployment sizings.
When looking at the VMware Aria Automation objects that are created as part of the trial activation process, the naming follows a pattern of <SDDC_name>-<unique task ID GUID>. You can manually change these object names in VMware Aria Automation.
If you have just activated the trial, you can skip to step 4. If you activated the trial and did not immediately click the Open VMware Aria Automation option on the VMware Aria Automation Integrated Services card in the SDDC, start with step 1.
For VMware Aria Automation help content, see Learn more about quick VMware Aria Automation setup for VMware Cloud on AWS.
Note that this example shows the various objects that are created as part of the VMware Aria Automation trial activation process. It seeks to explain what the objects are, what they do, and how they were derived. This example does not show the exact objects that are created by your unique activation mainly because your source SDDC is not be identical to the one used to generate these objects, but they are similar. The intent is that you use this example as a tool in gaining a basic level of VMware Aria Automation proficiency.
Complete the trial activation process. See Activate the VMware Aria Automation setup for VMware Cloud on AWS trial.
- Log in to your VMware Cloud on AWS console, open the page that lists all of your SDDCs, and select the SDDC that you used as the source for your VMware Aria Automation trial.
- On the selected SDDC page, click its Integrated Services tab.
- On the SDDC's VMware Aria Automation Integrated Services card, click the Open VMware Aria Automation option.
- Select the automatically generated catalog item in Automation Consumption.
If the Automation Consumption is not automatically visible, select the service selector and then select the VMware Aria Automation Consumption option to open Automation Consumption and display the starter catalog item.
- Click Request on the catalog item and enter a deployment name such as test.
Click VM Size to display the flavor sizings that are available for the deployment.
Click VM Template to display all the templates that were data collected from the source SDDC. In this example, the source SDDC contained only one template, thus only one template appears in the list.
- Click Submit on the catalog item to start its deployment and open the Deployments page.
- While the catalog item is being deployed, click Content & Policies and open the starter content source that was created based on your source SDDC.
- Notice the starter project that was generated by the trial activation process and click Validate. Before generating a cloud template from the catalog item, click Cancel to examine a few more aspects of catalog item content before you deploy the cloud template.
- Click Cancel. , examine the generated lease policy, and click
- Examine the cloud template that is created during the trial activation process by navigating to the Automation Assembler service.
- Select the cloud template to open it in the design canvas and display it both graphically and as code.
What to do next
To learn more about the services that comprise VMware Aria Automation, see Learn more about quick VMware Aria Automation setup for VMware Cloud on AWS.