In VMware Cloud on AWS SDDC, you can convert clusters to use a new host type if the original host type you selected no longer meets your requirements. VMware Cloud Sizer now supports Cluster Conversion Estimation workflow to estimate the hosts required for converting existing clusters in SDDC.
You must be logged in to an organization with VMware Cloud on AWS service enabled, and user account with service roles to view the VMware Cloud on AWS inventory. Ensure the VMC Sizer Service subscription is enabled in the Cloud Service Portal for the chosen organization. Reach out to your organization's owner to learn about subscription availability. For more information, see Assign Roles to an Organization Member.
- Log in to your VMC Sizer account with your credentials.
- In the VMware Cloud on AWS Sizer homepage, Click Existing SDDC.
- Click GET STARTED to view the ready state listed SDDC in the Cluster Conversion Estimation.
Note: You can see the SDDC list only if you are eligible to perform the cluster conversion.
- The Sizer tool displays the available clusters for conversion for the specific period.
Note: The convert option is not available for i4i host type.
- Under the Convert to column, click on drop down, to select the host type to convert.
- Choose the cluster to be converted to i3en or i4i based on your requirements. The VMC Sizer tool calculates and provides an estimate of the hosts required to convert. Click on the arrows next to each cluster to view the recommendation details, such as required NSX Edges and conversion time estimation for individual clusters.
- If the cluster conversion requires more than 16 hosts which, is the current host limitation for VMware Cloud on AWS, you can consider the following options:
- Breaking a cluster into multiple clusters.
- Migrating the hosts.
- Move some data to external storage to reduce the utilization.
- You can view the Recommendation Summary about the total host count of chosen clusters for conversion, excluded clusters due to host limitation, and other details.
- Click Assumptions to view the assumptions considered for estimation.
- Click Download Report to view the detailed report for the current estimation.