You can add the policy settings in the Serial COM (serial port redirection) ADMX file (vdm_agent_serialport.admx), to group policy objects (GPOs) in Active Directory and configure the settings in the Group Policy Object Editor.
- Verify that the Serial Port Redirection setup option is installed on your virtual desktops or RDS hosts. The group policy settings have no effect if serial port redirection is not installed. For information about installing Horizon Agent, see the Setting Up Virtual Desktops in Horizon or Setting Up Published Desktops and Applications in Horizon document.
- Verify that Active Directory GPOs are created for the serial port redirection group policy settings. The GPOs must be linked to the OU that contains your virtual desktops or RDS hosts. See Active Directory Group Policy Example.
- Verify that the MMC and the Group Policy Object Editor snap-in are available on your Active Directory server.
- Become familiar with the serial port redirection group policy settings. See Serial Port Redirection Group Policy Settings.
- Download the VMware Horizon GPO Bundle .zip file from the VMware download site at https://my.vmware.com/web/vmware/downloads.
Under Desktop & End-User Computing, select the VMware Horizon download, which includes the GPO Bundle.
The file is named VMware-Horizon-Extras-Bundle-YYMM-x.x.x-yyyyyyyy.zip, where YYMM is the marketing version, x.x.x is the internal version and yyyyyyyy is the build number. All ADMX files that provide group policy settings for VMware Horizon are available in this file.
- Unzip the VMware-Horizon-Extras-Bundle-YYMM-x.x.x-yyyyyyyy.zip file and copy the ADMX files to your Active Directory server.
- Copy the vdm_agent_serialport.admx file and the en-US folder to the C:\Windows\PolicyDefinitions folder on your Active Directory server.
- (Optional) Copy the language resource file (vdm_agent_serialport.adml) to the appropriate subfolder in C:\Windows\PolicyDefinitions\ on your Active Directory server.
- On the Active Directory server, open the Group Policy Management Editor and enter the path to the template file in the editor.
The settings are located in thefolder.
Most settings are also added to the User Configuration folder, located in .
What to do next
Configure the group policy settings.