To use the VMware Horizon Desktop Recording feature, install the Desktop Recording Server component on a machine to collect information about the session as well as raw recording data for storage and playback.
- A database for session information storage and configuration
- A Windows NTFS folder for recording storage
- A web service for collecting recording data, administration, and playback
You can deploy the Desktop Recording Server as a standalone setup where the server is installed on a machine that leverages a local SQLite database stored in the installation directory as local.db, and a local NTFS folder.
You can also deploy the Desktop Recording Server in a high available environment using multiple servers behind a load balancer, leveraging Microsoft SQL or PostgreSQL databases, as well as a shared NTFS folder on all servers for storing recording data. Load balancers configured with L4 load distribution are supported.
|Free Disk Space||20 GB
Note: This depends on the type of applications the user runs in the session and also the frame change rate. You must monitor usage and add extra disk space as required.
- The Desktop Recording Server is built in .Net Core and requires a 64-bit Windows server operating system that is a member of the domain if you use group extraction. The server operating system must be Windows Server 2016 or later (64-bit).
- You cannot perform this installation if a previous version of Horizon Desktop Recording is installed.
- To install the Desktop Recording Server, download the HorizonDesktopRecordingServer.exe file and copy it to a local folder on the server.
- Run the installer and follow the steps.
Default credentials are shown below.
Username/Password: administrator/Recording123The server is available on https://<localservername>:9443
- To uninstall the Desktop Recording Server, use Add Remove Programs (appwiz.cpl) to remove the Desktop Recording server binaries and delete the following components manually:
- The local database file (local.db) in installation directory.
- The logs located in C:\programdata\VMware\Horizon Desktop Recording
- Local recordings located in installation directory\Recordings
- To reset the installation:
- Stop the Desktop Recording service.
- Delete the Recordings folder from the installation directory.
- Delete the servicesettings.json file and the local.db file from the installation directory.
- Start the Desktop Recording service.
The servicesettings.json and local.db files are recreated afresh.
- Manually secure the recordings folder permissions so that only the recording servers active directory accounts have access to the folder to add, modify, or delete recordings.