Before you install or upgrade NSX Data Center for vSphere, consider your network configuration and resources. You can install one NSX Manager per vCenter Server, one instance of Guest Introspection per ESXi host, and multiple NSX Edge instances per datacenter.
This table lists the hardware requirements for NSX Data Center for vSphere appliances.
|NSX Manager||16 GB (24 GB for larger deployments)||
For large deployments:
Do not exceed 8 (6.4.0 to 6.4.6)
Do not exceed 32 (starting in 6.4.7)
|NSX Controller||4 GB||4||28 GB|
(Distributed logical router is deployed as compact appliance)
Compact: 512 MB
Large: 1 GB
Quad Large: 4 GB (starting in 6.4.9), 2 GB (6.4.0 to 6.4.8)
X-Large: 8 GB
Quad Large: 4
Compact, Large: 1 disk 640 MB + 1 disk 512 MB
Quad Large: 1 disk 640 MB + 2 disks 512 MB
X-Large: 1 disk 640 MB + 1 disk 2 GB + 1 disk 512 MB
|Guest Introspection||2 GB||2||5 GB (Provisioned space is 6.26 GB)|
As a general guideline, if your NSX-managed environment contains more than 256 hypervisors, increase NSX Manager resources to at least 8 vCPU and 24 GB of RAM. Do not exceed 32 vCPU. For more information on configuration maximums, see the NSX Data Center for vSphere section of the VMware Configuration Maximums tool. The documented configuration maximums all assume the large NSX Manager appliance size. For specific sizing details contact VMware support.
For information about increasing the memory and vCPU allocation for your virtual appliances, see "Allocate Memory Resources", and "Change the Number of Virtual CPUs" in vSphere Virtual Machine Administration.
The provisioned space for a Guest Introspection appliance shows as 6.26 GB for Guest Introspection. This is because vSphere ESX Agent Manager creates a snapshot of the service VM to create fast clones, when multiple hosts in a cluster shares a storage. For more information on how to disable this option via ESX Agent Manager, refer to the ESX Agent Manager documentation.
|NSX Manager and NSX Controller nodes||150 ms RTT|
|NSX Manager and ESXi hosts||150 ms RTT|
|NSX Manager and vCenter Server system||150 ms RTT|
|NSX Manager and NSX Manager in a cross-vCenter NSX environment||150 ms RTT|
|NSX Controller and ESXi hosts||150 ms RTT|
For the latest interoperability information, see the Product Interoperability Matrixes at http://partnerweb.vmware.com/comp_guide/sim/interop_matrix.php.
For recommended versions of NSX Data Center for vSphere, vCenter Server, and ESXi, see the release notes for the version of NSX Data Center for vSphere to which you are upgrading. Release notes are available at the NSX Data Center for vSphere documentation site: https://docs.vmware.com/en/VMware-NSX-for-vSphere/index.html.
|NSX Manager||6.2 or later|
|NSX Controller||6.2 or later|
|vCenter Server||6.0 or later|
ESXi 6.0 or later
Host clusters prepared with NSX 6.2 or later VIBs
To manage all NSX Managers in a cross-vCenter NSX deployment from a single vSphere Web Client, you must connect your vCenter Server systems in Enhanced Linked Mode. See Using Enhanced Linked Mode in vCenter Server and Host Management.
To verify the compatibility of partner solutions with NSX, see the VMware Compatibility Guide for Networking and Security at http://www.vmware.com/resources/compatibility/search.php?deviceCategory=security.
Client and User Access
- Forward and reverse name resolution. This is required if you have added ESXi hosts by name to the vSphere inventory, otherwise NSX Manager cannot resolve the IP addresses.
- Permissions to add and power on virtual machines.
- Access to the datastore where you store virtual machine files, and the account permissions to copy files to that datastore.
- Cookies must be enabled on your Web browser to access the NSX Manager user interface.
- Port 443 must be open between the NSX Manager and the ESXi host, the vCenter Server, and the NSX Data Center for vSphere appliances to be deployed. This port is required to download the OVF file on the ESXi host for deployment.
- A Web browser that is supported for the version of vSphere Client or vSphere Web Client you are using. See the list of supported Web browsers at https://docs.vmware.com/en/VMware-NSX-Data-Center-for-vSphere/6.4/rn/nsx-vsphere-client-65-functionality-support.html.
Note that Windows 32-bit and 64-bit Microsoft Internet Explorer browser is not supported with NSX 6.4.x.
- For information about using the vSphere Client (HTML5) on vSphere 6.5 with NSX Data Center for vSphere 6.4, see https://docs.vmware.com/en/VMware-NSX-for-vSphere/6.4/rn/nsx-vsphere-client-65-functionality-support.html.