If you want to create gateways and segments that span more than one location, you must configure a remote tunnel endpoint (RTEP) on Edge nodes in each location.
When you configure an RTEP, do it on an Edge cluster basis. All Edge nodes in the cluster must have an RTEP configured. You do not need to configure all Edge clusters with RTEP. RTEPs are required only if the Edge cluster is used to configure a gateway that spans more than one location.
You can configure the TEP and RTEP to use the same physical NIC on the Edge node or use separate physical NICs.
You can also configure RTEPs from each Local Manager. Select .
You can edit RTEPs on an Edge node. Log into the Local Manager and select . Select an Edge node, and click Tunnels. If an RTEP is configured, it is displayed in the Remote Tunnel Endpoint section. Click Edit to modify the RTEP configuration.
- Verify that each location participating in the stretched network has at least one Edge cluster.
- Determine which layer 3 networks and VLANs to use for RTEP networks.
- Intra-location tunnel endpoints (TEP) and inter-location tunnel endpoints (RTEP) must use separate VLANs and layer 3 subnets.
- Verify that all RTEP networks used in a given NSX Federation environment have IP connectivity to each other.
- Verify that external firewalls allow cross-location RTEP tunnels, and BGP sessions between Edges. See VMware Ports and Protocols at https://ports.vmware.com/home/NSX.
- Configure the MTU for RTEP on each Local Manager. The default is 1500. Set the RTEP MTU to be as high as your physical network supports. On each Local Manager, select . Click Edit next to Remote Tunnel Endpoint.
- From your browser, log in with admin privileges to the active Global Manager at https://<global-manager-ip-address>.
- Go to Networking from the location you want to configure for stretched networking. and click
- Click Configure next to the Edge cluster for which you want to set up the RTEP.
The Configure Edge Nodes for Stretched Networking screen opens in the Local Manager with that Edge cluster selected.
- You can select all Edge Nodes in this cluster or one node at a time. Provide the following details for the RTEP configuration:
Option Description Host Switch Select a host switch from the drop-down menu. Teaming Policy Select a teaming policy if you have one configured. RTEP VLAN Enter the VLAN ID for the RTEP network. Valid values are between 1 and 4094. IP Pool for all nodes Select an IP pool for all nodes in this Edge Cluster. If you want to assign an IP address to an individual node, you can edit the RTEP configuration later. Inter Location MTU The default is 1500.
- Click Save.
You can click each of the Edge nodes that are marked as Configured to see the Edge node configuration details. Select the Tunnels tab to view and edit the RTEP configuration.