You can configure the Management IP address at the Profile-level and choose to override it at the Edge-level.
Starting from release 3.4, the Edges do not use the Management IP address to source traffic to Orchestrator. Instead, the Edges will choose the first "up and advertised" interface on a segment to initiate traffic. If no such LAN interfaces are found, traffic will egress directly to the Internet using a NAT-enabled WAN link. Currently, if you are sending traffic sourced from the Management IP through VPN in the global segment and do not have any up and advertised LAN interfaces in the global segment, you will experience reachability issues when you upgrade your Edges and Orchestrator to release 3.4. Contact VMware Customer Support to restore the pre-3.4 behavior so that you can continue to use Management IP address to source traffic.
- It is used to source the management traffic from Edges to Orchestrator. In this scenario, you can either use the default Management IP address (192.168.1.1) or an IP address of your choice that you configure at the Profile-level so that all Edges attached to the Profile use the same IP address to source the traffic to the Orchestrator.
Note: You can choose to ignore the Management IP configuration, if you have NAT Direct enabled on the WAN ports or if the traffic from the Edges is routed to the Orchestrator through a Gateway.
- If you choose to configure services such as DNS, NTP, Netflow, BGP and so on, you must override the Management IP address configuration at the Edge-level so that each Edge has a unique IP address that can be used as the source address for these services.
- It is also used as the destination IP address for diagnostic tests when configured at the Edge-level.
To configure the Management IP address for a Profile:
- In the Enterprise portal, go to Configure > Profiles.
- Either click the Device icon next to the Profile for which you want to configure the Management IP address, or click the link to the Profile, and then go to the Device tab.
- In the Device page, scroll down to the Management IP section, and enter the required Management IP address.
- Click Save Changes.
- In the Enterprise portal, go to Configure > Edges.
- Either click the Device icon next to the Edge for which you want to override the Management IP address configuration, or click the link to the Edge, and then go to the Device tab.
- In the Device page, scroll down to the Management IP section, and select the Enable Edge Override check box.
- Enter the required Management IP address.
- Click Save Changes.