To connect USB human interface devices (HIDs) to a virtual machine, you must configure the virtual machine to show all USB input devices in the Removable Devices menu.
By default, USB HIDs, such as USB 1.1 and 2.0 mouse and keyboard devices, do not appear in the Removable Devices menu in a virtual machine, even though they are plugged in to USB ports on the host system.
An HID that is connected to a virtual machine is not available to the host system.
- Power off the virtual machine.
- This prerequisite only applies to Workstation Pro on a Linux host. If you are using a KVM switch for a mouse or keyboard, disable automatic connection of USB devices. See Disable Automatic Connection of USB Devices.
- Select the virtual machine and select .
- On the Hardware tab, select USB Controller.
- Select Show all USB input devices.
This option allows users to use special USB HIDs inside the virtual machine.
- Click OK to save your changes.
- Power on the virtual machine.
HIDs appear in the Removable Devices menu.