You upgrade the vRealize Operations for Horizon desktop agent on the parent virtual machine, RDS host, or desktop source where it is installed.
The vRealize Operations for Horizon desktop agent is installed as a part of the Horizon Agentinstallation. See the table in Desktop Agent to find the version installed by your Horizon Agent and determine whether an upgrade is necessary.
- Due to an existing limitation, you must install the vRealize Operations for Horizon 6.6 desktop agent separately even if you choose to install it with Horizon 7.6. This limitation is resolved in Horizon 7.7.
- The standalone desktop agent installer is not supported for Horizon 7.8 or later. If you are upgrading to Horizon 7.8, you must install the desktop agent when you install Horizon Agent. To do so, select vRealize Operations Desktop Agent on the Custom Setup page of the Horizon Agent installation wizard. For more information, see Install Horizon Agent on a Virtual Machine in the Setting Up Virtual Desktops in Horizon 7 document.
- For linked-clone desktops, perform the following procedure on the parent virtual machine in the linked-clone desktop pool.
- For desktops in an automated or manual desktop pool, perform the following procedure on each virtual machine in the pool.
- For desktops provided by an RDS host or physical machine desktop source, perform the following procedure on each server or physical machine.
- Upgrade the vRealize Operations for Horizon solution.
- Upgrade the vRealize Operations for Horizon broker agents in your environment.
- Log in as a local administrator to the machine where you plan to upgrade the desktop agent.
- If you have changed the desktop agent configuration, make a backup of all files in the C:\ProgramData\VMware\vRealize Operations for Horizon\Desktop Agent\conf directory.
These configuration files will be overwritten during the upgrade process.
- Download the desktop agent installation file from the product download page and run the file to upgrade the desktop agent.
- Read and accept the EULA and click Next.
- Click Install to begin the upgrade.
Note: While upgrading the desktop agent, you might be prompted to close vmwAgent even if nothing related is open. Click OK and proceed with the uninstallation.
- Click Finish to exit the desktop agent setup wizard.
- If you backed up your configuration files, copy them back to the C:\ProgramData\VMware\vRealize Operations for Horizon\Desktop Agent\conf directory.
- If you are upgrading the desktop agent on the parent virtual machine for linked-clone desktops, perform the following additional steps:
- Power off the parent virtual machine.
- In the vSphere Client, take a snapshot of the parent virtual machine in its powered-off state.
- In Horizon Administrator, recompose the linked-clone desktops.
The recompose operation updates all linked-clone desktops that are anchored to the parent virtual machine, causing the upgraded desktop agent to be installed on each linked-clone desktop.