You must download and run the VMware Migration Assistant on your source vCenter Server, vCenter Single Sign-On, or Platform Services Controller to prepare it for migration from Windows to an appliance. If you are using a deployment of vCenter Server with an external Update Manager that runs on Windows, download and run the VMware Migration Assistant on the source Windows machine where Update Manager runs to prepare Update Manager server and database for migration from Windows to the vCenter Server Appliance.
The VMware Migration Assistant performs the following tasks on the source Windows machine where you run it:
- Discovers the source deployment type.
- Runs pre-checks on the source.
- Reports errors that must be addressed before starting the migration.
- Provides information for the next steps in the migration process.
- Download and Mount the vCenter Server Appliance Installer.
- Log in to the Windows machine as an administrator.
- In the vCenter Server Appliance installer package, locate the directory that contains VMware Migration Assistant.
- Copy the VMware Migration Assistant folder to the source Windows machine where either one of the following components runs:
Caution: If Update Manager runs on a different Windows machine than any other of the vCenter Server components that you are migrating, run VMware Migration Assistant on the Update Manager source machine first. If you do not run VMware Migration Assistant on the Update Manager source machine first, the vCenter Server migration might fail.
- Update Manager
- vCenter Single Sign-On
- Platform Services Controller
- vCenter Server
- Run the VMware Migration Assistant on the Windows machine.
Important: Leave the Migration Assistant window open until you complete the upgrade or the migration process of your vCenter Server deployment.The VMware Migration Assistant runs pre-upgrade checks and prompts you to resolve any errors it finds before proceeding with the migration.
- For the GUI, double-click VMware-Migration-Assistant.exe
- For the CLI, enter: VMware-Migration-Assistant.exe -p <password of Administrator@vmdir.domain>
To list all the available input parameters, enter: VMware-Migration-Assistant.exe --help.
When the pre-checks are finished and any errors are addressed, your source system is ready for migration.
What to do next
Follow the VMware Migration Assistant instructions to start migration.
For detailed migration steps, see one of the following.
- GUI Migration of vCenter Server with an Embedded vCenter Single Sign-On or Platform Services Controller to an Appliance
- GUI Migration of vCenter Server with an External vCenter Single Sign-On or Platform Services Controller to an Appliance
- CLI Migration of a vCenter Server Installation from Windows to an Appliance