To create the second node, you set up a virtual machine for clustering across physical machines.
You configure the virtual network adapters to handle virtual machine traffic for the cluster: a private network connection for the private heartbeat and a public network connection.
Before you begin, make sure that the shared storage that is visible from the physical machine that you configured in Create the First Node for a Cluster of Physical and Virtual Machines is also visible from the virtual machine.
- Open the vSphere Client and connect to the vCenter Server system.
Use the user name and password of the user who will have administrator permissions on the virtual machine.
- In the vSphere Client, right-click the host and select New Virtual Machine.
- Proceed through the wizard to create the virtual machine.
Page Action Creation type Select Create a new virtual machine. Name and folder Enter a name and select a location. Compute resource Select a cluster, host, vApp or resource pool to run this virtual machine. Storage Select a datastore as the location for the virtual machine configuration file and the virtual machine disk (.vmdk) file. Compatibility The host or cluster suports more than one VMware virtual machine version. Select a compatibility for the virtual machine. Guest operating system Select the guest operating system that you intend to install. Customize hardware Select virtual hardware, advanced virtual machine options, and SDRS rules. Ready to Complete Review your selections.
- Click Finish to complete creating the virtual machine.
- In the vSphere Client, select the newly created virtual machine, right-click and select Edit Settings.
- Click the New device drop-down menu, select Network, and click Add.
- In the New Virtual Machine - Edit Settings dialog box, expand Network adapter. Select the adapter type and network label.
- If you selected a private network for the first network adapter, you must select a public network for this network adapter.
- If you selected a public network for the first network adapter, you must select a private network adapter.
- Click Finish to complete creating the device.
- Install a Windows Server operating system on the virtual machine.