To ensure a successful deployment of the vCenter Server appliance, you must perform some required tasks and pre-checks before running the installer.
Target System Prerequisites
- Verify that your system meets the minimum software and hardware requirements. See System Requirements for the vCenter Server Appliance.
- If you want to deploy the appliance on an ESXi host, verify that the ESXi host is not in lockdown or maintenance mode and not part of a fully automated DRS cluster.
- If you want to deploy the appliance on a DRS cluster of the inventory of a vCenter Server instance, verify that the cluster contains at least one ESXi host that is not in lockdown or maintenance mode.
- If you plan to use NTP servers for time synchronization, verify that the NTP servers are running and that the time between the NTP servers and the target server on which you want to deploy the appliance is synchronized.
vCenter Enhanced Linked Mode Prerequisites
When deploying a new vCenter Server as part of an Enhanced Linked Mode deployment, create an image-based backup of the existing vCenter Server nodes in your environment. You can use the backup as a precaution in case there is a failure during the deployment process.
- To learn more about creating vCenter Enhanced Linked Mode deployments, see vCenter Enhanced Linked Mode.
- To learn about image-based backs, see Image-Based Backup and Restore of a vCenter Server Environment.
If you plan to assign a static IP address and an FQDN as a system name in the network settings of the appliance, verify that you have configured the forward and reverse DNS records for the IP address.