You can repoint a vCenter Server from an existing domain to a newly created domain.
See Repointing a vCenter Server from One Domain to a New Domain for an example of repointing to a new domain. In this case, there is no replication partner.
- Repointing is only supported with vCenter Server 6.7 Update 1 and later.
- You must repoint to a vCenter Server that is of the same version.
- To ensure no loss of data, take a file-based backup and a snapshot in powered-off state of each node before proceeding with repointing the vCenter Server.
- Shut down the node (for example, Node C) that is being repointed (moved to a different domain).
- Decommission the vCenter Server node that is being repointed. For example, to decommission Node C, log into Node B (on the original domain) and run the following command:
cmsso-util unregister --node-pnid Node_C_FQDN --username Node_B_sso_administrator@sso_domain.com --passwd Node_B_sso_adminuser_passwordAfter unregistering Node C, services are restarted. References to Node C are deleted from Node B and any other nodes that were linked with Node C on the original domain.
- Power on Node C to begin the repointing process.
- Run the execute command. In execute mode, the data generated during the pre-check mode is read and imported to the target node. Then, the vCenter Server is repointed to the target domain. For example, repointing with no replication partner (repointing to a new domain), run the execute command with the following:
cmsso-util domain-repoint -m execute --src-emb-admin Administrator --dest-domain-name destination_PSC_domainSee Syntax of the Domain Repoint Command for argument definitions for the cmsso-util domain-repoint command.