You can use Update Planner to perform pre-checks and generate reports that provide product interoperability information for recommended update and upgrade versions of vCenter Server.
You can create a vCenter Server pre-update interoperability report to check the compatibility of VMware products in your environment againist a pending version of vCenter Server. Update Planner lists the products in your environment associated with the current vCenter Server version, and wheather or not those products are compatible with a suggested update version.
To use Update Planner, you must join the VMware Customer Experience Improvement Program (CEIP). For information about the CEIP, see the "Configuring Customer Experience Improvement Program" section in vCenter Server and Host Management.
- In the vSphere Client, select a vCenter Server for which you want to view an interoperability report.
- On the Updates tab, click Update Planner
- Select the target vCenter Server on which you want to run an interoperability check from the list of available updates. The list can contain minor updates and major upgrade versions of vCenter Server.
- Click the Generate Report drop-down menu and select Interoperability.
The Interoperability report displays in the bottom pane of the Pre-Update Checks panel.
- (Optional) If there are VMware products in your environment that go undetected by Update Planner, you can manually add them to the list of products to check and regenerate the interoperability report.
- Click Add Product in the Product Interoperability pane.
- Select the VMware product and version you want to include in the interoperability report.
Repeat this step for each VMware product you want to add to the report.
- To add the selected products to the Update Planner product inventory click Done.
- Regenerate the report and verify that the products you added are included in the report.
- (Optional) Click Export in the Product Interoperability pane to save the report as a comma-separated values (CSV) file, which allows data to be saved in a tabular format.
What to do next
- Using the information in the pre-upgrade report, you can apply patches and updates to your vCenter Server environment. See Patching and Updating vCenter Server 7.0 Deployments.
- You can generate a pre-upgrade report that lists actions that you must address to ensure a successful upgrade of vCenter Server in your environment. See Generate an Interoperability Report for Target vCenter Server Versions.