When you use the CLI to migrate a source vCenter Server installation to a target vCenter Server Appliance, you must prepare a JSON template with the configuration values for the new appliance.
You can migrate vCenter Server or Platform Services Controller instances from Windows to a vCenter Server Appliance by setting values to the configuration parameters in the templates that are available in the installer ISO file. The configuration parameters that are not included in the templates are set to their default values. You can add configuration parameters in the templates to set their values for your migration specification.
The vcsa-cli-installer/templates/migrate directory contains example migration templates for CLI migration of vCenter Server 6.5 and vCenter Server 6.7 to an appliance.
To perform the batch migration, place the JSON templates defining your deployment in a single directory. When invoked, the CLI installer migrates your existing deployment to the new vCenter Server version using the topology defined in the JSON templates.
Prepare your environment for migration. See Preparing for Migration.
- Open the migrate subfolder in the vcsa-cli-installer/templates directory.
- Copy the migration template from the migrate subfolder to your workspace.
- For vCenter Server 6.5, use the migrate/winvc6.5/ folder.
- For vCenter Server 6.7, use the migrate/winvc6.7/ folder.
- Open the template file for your use case in a text editor.
To ensure the correct syntax of your JSON configuration file, use a JSON editor.
- Fill in values for the required configuration parameters and, optionally, enter additional parameters and their values.
Important: To set a value that contains the backslash (\) or quotation mark (") character, you must precede the character with the backslash (\) character. For example,
"password":"my\"password"sets the password my"password,
"image":"C:\\vmware\\vcsa"sets the path C:\vmware\vcsa.
The boolean values must contain only lowercase characters. Can be either
false. For example,
- Save in UTF-8 format and close the file.
Your file is ready to use for migration.
What to do next
You can create and save as many templates as are needed for your specific environment. When your template is ready, run the pre-check before using it to run the migration. See Run a Pre-Check Before a CLI Migration to vCenter Server Appliance.