Use the datastore file browser to upload files to datastores on the ESXi host. If you use the vSphere Client, you can also upload folders.
In addition to their traditional use as storage for virtual machines files, datastores can serve to store data or files related to virtual machines. For example, you can upload ISO images of operating systems from a local computer to a datastore on the host. You then use these images to install guest operating systems on the new virtual machines.
- Open the datastore browser.
- Display the datastore in the inventory.
- Right-click the datastore and select Browse Files.
- (Optional) Create a folder to store the file or folder.
- Upload the file or folder.
Option Description Upload a file
- Select the target folder and click Upload Files.
- Locate the item to upload on the local computer and click Open.
Upload a folder (available only in the vSphere Client)
- Select the datastore or the target folder and click Upload Folders.
- Locate the item to upload on the local computer and click Ok.
- Refresh the datastore file browser to see the uploaded files or folders on the list.
What to do next
You might experience problems when deploying an OVF template that you previously exported and then uploaded to a datastore. For details and a workaround, see the VMware Knowledge Base article 2117310.