If you created a virtual disk in the thin format, you can change the format to thick.
You use the datastore browser to inflate the thin virtual disk.
- Make sure that the datastore where the virtual machine resides has enough space.
- Make sure that the virtual disk is thin.
- Remove snapshots.
- Power off your virtual machine.
- In the vSphere Client, navigate to the folder of the virtual disk you want to inflate.
- Navigate to the virtual machine.
- Click the Datastores tab.
The datastore that stores the virtual machine files is listed.
- Right-click the datastore and select Browse Files.
The datastore browser displays contents of the datastore.
- Expand the virtual machine folder and browse to the virtual disk file that you want to convert.
The file has the .vmdk extension and is marked with the virtual disk ( ) icon.
- Select the virtual disk file and click Inflate.
Note: The option might not be available if the virtual disk is thick or when the virtual machine is running.