As a prerequisite for provisioning Tanzu Kubernetes clusters, create a Content Library on the vCenter Server where Workload Management is enabled. The VM image that is used for creating the nodes of Tanzu Kubernetes clusters is pulled from the content library. This library contains the latest distributions of Kubernetes and accompanying Photon operating system.
After the Supervisor Cluster is deployed, associate the content library with each Supervisor Cluster where Tanzu Kubernetes clusters will be deployed. See Create a Subscribed Content Library for Tanzu Kubernetes Clusters.
The size of the content library can grow over time as new Kubernetes versions and images are published. If the underlying storage runs out of space, you will need to migrate to a new content library. See Migrate Tanzu Kubernetes Clusters to a New Content Library.
This task describes how to create a subscribed content library which requires internet connectivity. For air-gapped deployments of Tanzu Kubernetes clusters, you can create a local content library. See Provisioning a Tanzu Kubernetes Cluster in an Air-Gapped Environment.
- vCenter Server instance where you want to create the library. or on the
- on the destination datastore.
- Log in to the vCenter Server using the vSphere Client.
- Select .
- Click the Create a new content library icon.
The New Content Library wizard opens.
- Enter identification information at the Name and location page.
- Enter a Name for the Content Library.
- For the vCenter Server, select the vCenter Server instance where the Supervisor Cluster will be configured.
- Click Next.
- Provide content library configuration details at the Configure content library page.
- Select the menu item Subscribed content library.
- In the Subscription URL text box, enter the URL address of the published library:
- For the Download content option, select one of the following:
Option Description Download all library content immediately The content library automatically synchronizes subscribed images when they are published. Requires more storage as more Kubernetes versions are supported and published. Download library content only when needed A vSphere administrator manually synchronizes all or selected images on demand. Requires less storage, but requires manual intervention for image download.
- Click Next.
- When prompted, accept the SSL certificate thumbprint.
The SSL certificate thumbprint is stored on your system until you delete the subscribed content library from the inventory.
- On the Add storage page, select a datastore as a storage location for the content library contents and click Next.
- On the Ready to complete page, review the details and click Finish.
- On the Content Libraries page:
Option Description On Publish If you chose to download all content immediately, confirm that the library is synchronized. On Demand Synchronize the content library now by selecting Actions > Synchronize.
What to do next
After the Supervisor Cluster is deployed, associate the content library with the Supervisor Cluster. See Associate the Content Library with the Supervisor Namespace.