Application Transformer for VMware Tanzu has a bulit-in integration with the Cloud Suitability Analyzer (CSA) tool. The CSA tool automates the process of understanding all the applications and its services running in your environment. It groups your applications and highlights the similarities in your setup and builds the pattern automatically. It helps you for planning application migration, for scheduling waves of migrations, and for building factory patterns.
CSA reviews each of the selected or filtered VMs to identify the targeted component (JAVA binary) running in the VMs. It groups the applications and services based on their archetypes or facets, imports, invocations, annotations. CSA generates random cluster number and groups similar applications in a cluster.
- Add a vCenter Server
- Enable CSA for the components
- You must have read permission on the binaries that you are analysing:
- For Tomcat:
CATALINA_BASE/webapps/target binaries – like SampleHRApps.war
- For Oracle WebLogic Server: DOMAIN_HOME folder
- For JBoss:
- HOME/standalone/deployments/<target binaries>, and
- Java application: Path of the binary location.
- For Tomcat:
- You must have access permissions to the following Linux commands:
- Re-introspect the VMs that you want to analyse using CSA.
- On the left navigation page, go to .
- Introspect the VMs.
You see the Introspection tasks initiates in the Tasks pane. Once this operation completes successfully, Binary Analysis operation triggers for CSA enabled components.Note: Once the binary analysis task completes, you must review the binary path of the discovered applications. If the discovered binary path is not correct, you must re-run the binary analysis by updating the path.
- Click Analyze from the main menu.
- On the left navigation page, go to
- On the Chart tab, you see the cluster view of the application. Each application can have multiple services. Each dot on the graph represents a service. The color of the dot represent the cluster. So, if you see multiple dots with the same color, all those services are grouped under a single cluster. When you hover the mouse on a dot, you see the cluster name and the service.
- On the Overview tab, you see the cluster information. The services that have similarities are given the same cluster name, like 0, 1, 2.
- On the Details tab, expand a cluster to see the technical details of the services, in which you can find the similarities.
- Click Export to CSV to export the report.