Deploy public applications to devices with Workspace ONE or the AirWatch Catalog.
When you upload a public application, for some platforms you have the option enable managed access. For information about managed access and open access, see AirWatch Applications and Workspace ONE.
- Navigate to Apps & Books > Applications > List View > Public and select Add Application.
- View the organization group from which the application uploads in Managed By.
- Select the Platform.
- Find the application in an app store by entering a search keyword in the Name text box.
Select from where the system gets the application, either Search App Store or Enter URL.
Setting Description Search App Store
- iOS – Searches for the application in the app store.
- Windows Desktop and Phone – Searches for the application in the app store. If you acquire applications this way and not with the Windows Store for Business. the system does not manage them.
Android – If you have configured integration with the Google Play Store, the system searches for the application in the app store.
This configuration also works when integrating with the Android For Work system. See the AirWatch Integration with Android For Work guide.
Add Google Play URL – This option only displays for Android applications, and the system displays it because Google Play Stores are localized. The stores offer applications based on regions.
This option enables you to deploy applications that are in a different region from your AirWatch server.
Enter URL Adds the application using a URL for the application. If you add applications with this method, the system does not manage them.
- Select Next and Select the desired application from the app store result page.
Configure options on the Details tab.
Setting Description Name View the name of the application. View in App Store View the store record for the application where you can download it and get information about it. Categories
Use categories to identify the use of the application.
You can configure custom application categories or keep the application's pre-coded category.
Supported Models Select all the device models that you want to run this application. Size View the size of the application for storage. Managed By View the organization group (OG) that the application belongs to in your AirWatch OG hierarchy. Rating View the number of stars that represents the popularity of the application in the AirWatch Console and in the AirWatch Catalog. Comments Enter comments that help explain the purpose and use of the application for the organization.
Indicates the URL scheme for supported applications. The application is packaged with the scheme, so the system parses the scheme and displays the value in this text box.
A default scheme offers many integration features for your applications, including:
- Using the scheme to integrate with other platforms and Web applications.
- Using the scheme to receive messages from other applications and to initiate specific requests.
- Using the scheme to run the Apple iOS applications in the AirWatch Container.
Assign the application to smart groups on the Assignment tab and complete the following options:
Setting Description Assignment Select Assignment Groups Select an existing group or create a new one.
Restrict To Devices That Support Silent Activity
Assign this application to those Android devices that support the Android silent uninstallation feature.
AirWatch cannot silently install or uninstall public applications. However, you can control what applications you push to your Android standard devices or your Android enterprise devices. Android enterprise devices support silent activity.
View Device Assignment View the list of devices available by assigned smart groups. Deployment App Delivery Method
Set the application to install automatically (auto) or manually (on demand) when needed.
On Demand – Deploys content to a catalog or other deployment agent and lets the device user decide if and when to install the content.
This option is the best choice for content that is not critical to the organization. Allowing users to download the content when they want helps conserve bandwidth and limits unnecessary traffic.
Automatic – Deploys content to a catalog or other deployment agent on a device upon enrollment. After the device enrolls, the system prompts users to install the content on their devices.
This option is the best choice for content that is critical to your organization and its mobile users.
Configure a device profile with a Restrictions payload that sets data loss prevention policies for the application.
Select Configure. The system navigates to Devices > Profiles. Select Add > Add Profile and the platform.
- For Android and iOS devices, select Restrictions and enable options in the Data Loss Prevention section.
- For Windows Desktop, select Device Profile > Restrictions and enable options that apply to the data you want to protect.
- For Windows Phone, select Restrictions and enable options that apply to the data you want to protect.
Enable adaptive management to set AirWatch to manage the device so that the device can access the application.
Workspace ONE controls this feature and is not supported by the AirWatch Catalog.
Configure a VPN at the application level, and select the Per-App VPN Profile. Users access the application using a VPN, which helps ensure that application access and use is trusted and secure.
Send Application Configuration
Enable this feature to configure specific application options and send the configurations to devices with the application, automatically. Users do not have to configure these specified values on their devices, manually.
Upload XML (Apple iOS) – Select this option to upload an XML file for your iOS applications that automatically populates the key-value pairs. Get the configurations supported by an application from the AppConfig Community in XML format.
Remove On Unenroll
Remove an application from a device when the device unenrolls from AirWatch.
Prevent Application Backup
Disallow backing up application data to iCloud.
Make App MDM Managed if User Installed
Assume management of applications previously installed by users on their devices, supervised, and unsupervised.
Enable this feature so that users do not have to delete the application version installed on the device. AirWatch manages the application without having to install the application catalog version on the device.
Application uses AirWatch SDK
Identify whether the application uses AirWatch SDK functionality and whether it needs a profile to apply the features. Applications to which you can apply SDK functionality include AirWatch applications like the VMware Browser and the VMware Content Locker.
Configuring the default settings for profiles is documented in the Advanced Application Management topic.
- Select the profile from the SDK Profile drop-down menu. This profile applies the features configured in Settings & Policies (Default) or the features configured in individual profiles configured in Profiles.
- Select the certificate profile from the Application Profile drop-down menu so that the application and AirWatch communicate securely.
Exceptions - Criteria
If you have a group of devices that need exceptions to their assignment settings, enter the group.
Select the device ownership of the devices included in the assignment exception. Exceptions - Override Value
App Delivery Method
Enter the app delivery method you want the system to apply to devices in the exception group.
Remove On Unenroll
Remove an application from a device in the exception group when the device unenrolls from AirWatch.
Prevent Application Backup
Disallow devices in the exception group from backing up application data to iCloud.
Send Application Configuration
Enable this feature to configure specific application options and send the configurations to devices in the exception group, automatically.
- Select Save & Publish to view the device assignment page that lists the assigned devices.
- Select Publish to deploy the application. To return to the addition process and to change settings, select Edit Assignment.
Application configurations are vendor-specific key-value pairs you can deploy with an application to preconfigure the application for users. For resources about application configurations, see Application Configuration Information.
For more topics about public applications, see Public Applications Overview.