Network segments are logical networks for use by workload VMs in the SDDC.
- A routed network segment (the default type) has connectivity to other logical networks in the SDDC and, through the SDDC firewall, to external networks.
- An extended network segment extends an existing L2VPN tunnel, providing a single IP address space that spans the SDDC and an on-premises network.
- A disconnected network segment has no uplink, and provides an isolated network accessible only to VMs connected to it. Disconnected segments are created when needed by HCX (see Getting started with VMware HCX). You can also create them yourself, and can convert them to other segment types.
See Configuration Maximums for VMware Cloud on AWS for limits on segments per SDDC and network connections per segment.
A Single Host Starter SDDC is created with a single routed network segment named sddc-cgw-network-1. This network uses CIDR block 192.168.1.0/24, unless that conflicts with the CIDR block you chose for the SDDC management network. In that case, the default network uses CIDR block 126.96.36.199/24.
Multi-host SDDCs are not created with a default network segment, so you must create at least one for your workload VMs. You can use the VMC Console to create additional network segments or delete ones that are no longer in use.
When you create a network segment, ensure that it does not overlap your management network or any of the subnets in your connected Amazon VPC.
- Select .
- Enter a Name for the segment.
- Select a segment Type from the drop-down menu and configure the segment.
Type Configuration Routed
- Specify the CIDR block of the segment in the Gateway/Prefix Length field.
- (Optional) Select Enabled to enable native NSX-T DHCP services for VMs on this segment. Specify a DHCP IP address range and a DNS suffix for the segment. VMs connecting to the segment get their IP addresses from the specified DHCP server and their FQDN has the specified DNS suffix.
If you enable native NSX-T DHCP on any Compute Network segment you cannot enable DHCP relay for the Compute Gateway. See Configure Compute Gateway DHCP Relay.
Extended Specify the ID of an existing L2VPN tunnel block of the segment in the Tunnel ID field. Disconnected Specify the CIDR block of the segment in the Gateway/Prefix Length field.
- Click Save.
The system creates the requested segment. This operation can take up to 15 seconds to complete.