Use VMware Tanzu Mission Control to enable data protection capabilities, like backup and restore, on your attached or provisioned clusters.
Before you can use Tanzu Mission Control to back up data resources in your clusters, you must set up your cluster and your cloud provider account. This procedure describes how to install the data protection extension (and Velero) on your cluster so that you can use Tanzu Mission Control to perform data protection actions using a backup location identified using a data protection credential.
This procedure assumes that you have a managed cluster, either attached or provisioned, and that you have set up a data protection credential, as described in Managing Cloud Provider Accounts.
- To enable data protection, you must be associated with the cluster.admin role in the cluster.
- To see and use a cloud provider account connection for data protection, you must be associated with the organization.credential.view role.
- Log in to the Tanzu Mission Control console, and then navigate to the cluster detail page for the cluster for which you want to enable data protection.
- In the Data Protection box, click Enable Data Protection.
- In the dialog, choose the data protection credential that you want to use.
The data protection credential identifies the location where backups and snapshots are retained. If you want to create snapshots of persistent volumes, the credential and the cluster must be in the same AWS account.
- Click Enable.
When you click Enable, Tanzu Mission Control installs the data protection extension and Velero on your cluster. After it is installed, the data-protection extension is listed on the cluster detail page along with its status.
What to do next
After you have enabled data protection for a cluster, you can perform actions like backing up and restoring data resources in your cluster.